Information on road conditions is available on the website www.vegagerd.is and by telephone at 1777.
The Austfjarðaleið coach line, charging fares, travels from Fjarðabyggð to Egilsstaðir airport. www.austfardaleid.is
There is an international airport at Egilsstaðir, with several flights to and from Reykjavík each day.
The Smyril Line ferry Norröna departs from Seyðisfjörður for the Faroe Islands, Norway, Denmark and Scotland.
Scheduled boat trips run between Mjóifjörður and Norðfjörður - www.fjardaferdir.is .
The tunnel beneath Oddsskarð, between Eskifjörður and Norðfjörður, has only one lane, but there are several lay-bys. It is the vehicles travelling from Eskifjörður to Norðfjörður that must yield, in some cases even by backing up to the nearest lay-by.
Driving Distances in Fjarðabyggð
Reyðarfjörður is at the centre of Fjarðabyggð. The Alcoa Fjarðaál aluminium smelter stands halfway between Eskifjörður and Reyðarfjörður.
- From Eskifjörður to Reyðarfjörður, it is 15 km.
- From Fáskrúðsfjörður to Reyðarfjörður, it is 21 km.
- From Norðfjörður to Reyðarfjörður, it is 38 km.
- From Stöðvarfjörður to Reyðarfjörður, it is 44 km.
- From Mjóifjörður to Reyðarfjörður, it is 57 km.
- From Reyðarfjörður to the international airport at Egilsstaðir, it is 35 km.
- From Reykjavík to Reyðarfjörður, it is 677 km
Map of Fjarðabyggð
Your questions and remarks